Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Assistant Captain George Nkoyo has been swimming with the female Dolphins Basketball Club for a while now. She shares her highs and lows with Esther Egbe






How did you get into basket ball?
I started basketball in 2003 with the Police Rookies under Coach Balogun. I went to play a friendly match with the Dolphins before the coach later called me to join them.
How did your parents take it?
My mother was into catering business, so I used to help her. She was not happy because I was leaving her to the whole work. But my daddy was a great support all through. Later, when I started making money, she now came to encourage me. She’ll wake me up to ask if I am not going for training today.
Have you had any injury that will make you give up?
No, I have not. But do you know shoulders pull out here during the game? We get injured. You can twist your knees, which happens always. I have had ankle and knees injuries. Many of my team mates experience this most times.  Our chairman is always there for us, though.
How has the game become a blessing to you?
Basketball has helped me with my education, my family at home, and has also paid my bills. Thanks to the club. They pay my school fees. It has also helped me travel around some African countries like Ghana, Senegal, Kenya, Togo, Liberia and more.
What are your challenges as a basketball player?
The only challenge I have is that I want to be big in size for my position. Also there is no sponsorship from the government or companies. The female basketball players in Nigeria are very poor, unlike other countries; and we don't organize competitions. There’s no good environment to play the game.
When was your most memorable time?
That was when we beat First Bank Basketball team and Zenith Bank Basketball team. Then we qualified for the final game and Continental Championship
Your most disappointing time?
That was when we lost to the Immigration and Deep Water team in the league. We scored just 2 points while theirs was 32points.
                                                       xxx




Mother Dolphins

Bintu and Joan shoot the hoop like every other female basketball player. But the thing is: they still have time to play the wife and mother. And they play all well

Meet Bintu
Why basketball of all things?
I got into the game because I spend most of my time with the boys and all of them play football. I once played it, but someone advised me to go for basket ball because of my height and stature.
Is your husband still in support of your career after two kids?
My husband is a great support and a darling all the way. We have been married over the years now and blessed with two kids. During my first pregnancy, I stopped playing.  But now my hubby doesn't bother; he even encourages me. It has not been easy managing my home and the career, but God has been seeing me through. It’s now my 13th year in the game.
How did you start with the club?
I started with the Dolphins Female Basketball Foundation. Since I look like a man and have the features of a basket ball player, people told me to go for it.
What are your challenges as a mother and wife playing basketball?
The only challenge is physical fitness. On my second pregnancy, I went to play an away match, and I was very active in the game,

Was there any time you left the club and come back?
I left the Dolphins for the First Bank Basketball team because of the bigger salary. But later things change. I had to go back to my former club Dolphins because they have helped me a lot, especially the chairman.

Have you heard any story of any of your friends that play basket ball and lost the pregnancy during the game?
Yes. Three of my friends lost their pregnancy during the game. But my husband advised me to continue if I wanted or stop if I didn’t feel like it. When I was pregnant I stayed away.  After I gave birth, I came back. My club will not reject you after marriage or delivery.


Meet Joan.
How did you join Dolphin?
I called the chairman and asked him to assist me to enroll in his team and he did.
Were you playing basketball before then?
Yes. I started playing basketball since the year 2000. I have played for the Sunshine Basketball and the Rangers of Enugu Basketball club before joining Dolphin.
What was it like playing for the Sunshine?
It was a great ordeal. I really learnt a lot from the Sunshine.
     Can you differentiate between the Dolphin and the Sunshine?
Well, I can’t say for now because I haven’t really stayed for so long. I only joined Dolphin this reason; so this is not the time to compare both teams. But, of course, I enjoyed playing for my new team.
How long have you been married?
Well, I have been married for the past three years now, and I have two kids.

How have you been managing home and the game?
It has not been an easy task.  I love the game so I manage to cope. It has been God all the way helping to continue as it is not easy to combine family and career.

Is your husband into sport?
He was, but now he is into business.

Does not your Husband complain of your job?
No, he has been very supportive and I enjoy that so much.
For how long do you wait to go back to the game when you are pregnant?
Close to three years.  I have to wait for the child to grow before going back to the game.
How can you rate the game in Nigeria?
Basketball in Nigeria … I will say it’s still growing and developing compared to advanced countries where you have adequate facilities and structures for the game.
Then few years from now, where do you want to see yourself?
I don't think I will be playing basket ball anymore. Except if I am not in this country.
How long do you want to play basketball?
 For few more years.
See yourself say good bye to basketball? Not really goodbye, maybe a break.
What if you have an opportunity to play in the United States?
Yes, I will go because that is my passion.


What has basketball done for you and what have you gained from it?
 I have achieved a lot: like going to places which I may never have been to. My wages are adequate to support my family.
Can you really say you have done very well so far?
I have always been doing my best, but I will continue to be a great player for the club.


1 comment: